We have talked recently about Advance Directives (and how this time of Covid-19 might change your responses) Take Charge Campaign emphasizes Patient Safety and offers:
The 5 Steps to Safer Healthcare!
1. Understand & Complete Your Advance Directives
2. Keep a Record of Your Medical History & Current Medications
3. Prepare for Doctor Visits / Make A List of Questions
4. Prevent Infections / Ask Caregivers to Wash Their Hands
5. Use an Advocate / Be an Advocate for Others
Let’s tackly Step 2
Keep a Record of List of Medications…
- the name of the medicine,
- the dosage and frequency, copied right from the label (for example, “Medicine X – one 10mg tablet twice a day with food”.)
- Also list vitamins and other nonprescription (“over-the-counter” or OTC) products you take. For example, products for indigestion, pain, or eye drops you may use regularly.
Also keep a record of Medical history (tests etc: ) Every time something happens related to your health — an illness, an accident, a new symptom, a new medication, blood work, x-rays, a stay in hospital etc. — add it to the list, along with the date and as much detail as you can: what happened, why did it happen, who cared for you and where, and what was the final outcome.
HOW are you keeping track? Choose your medium – paper, computer, mobile device, etc. If your list is electronic, make sure you back it up! If it is paper (make a copy- perhaps share with your Advocate)
Check out this video on medication safety The life you save may be your own or someone you care about!